Friday, April 19, 2013

My poor, poor blog

The reason we don't have pets in my house is because we simply don't have time. They would be neglected. I mean, they would have food, water, and a dry, warm place to sleep. But we lack the time and energy to give them the affection they need.

This is the way my blog has been treated.

I've been so busy, it's a wonder that I never ended up showing up at the wrong activity.
Here's what's been going on.

1. Jazz Band
For the first time in 14 years, Audubon Jazz Band qualified for the Iowa Jazz Championships. I play saxophone (I have given up hope that I will ever look attractive in a picture of me playing an instrument). It has been a very enjoyable season, and a very enjoyable group of people to work with.  We went to the state competition yesterday. We did not place, but it was still a big step for us to qualify after all these years



2. Jazz Choir
Our Jazz choir got 2nd place at the state competition. And we were all very disappointed. Doesn't that say something about the caliber of our group? Disappointed in getting 2nd at a state competition? It has been a tough year for our group, and I'm proud of us for getting through and always working hard despite the challenges. Now, they have something to shoot for next year, and I hope that they can bring home another championship trophy.

3. Individual Speech
 Look at that hardware! I won third place at the Walnut Hill Individual Speech competition. In expos, believe it or not, as opposed to individual musical theater, in which I did not even make the finals (don't be bitter, Beth).
This year for individual speech, I did an expository address (a speech with a visual aid) about how single people spend Valentine's Day, and a musical theater piece called Rose's Turn (which I talked about in the loveless puppy that I call "Manic Monday")
I got straight one's in both events at the state contest (a personal best), but did not advance to All-State, which was my ultimate goal in musical theater at least. Upon reflection, if I truly wanted to make it to All-State, I should have put more time in. But that time, I'm sorry to say, had to be spent sleeping. For the sake of my health.

 4. College Stuff
I was accepted into two music programs (at state schools, which is no easy feat.) They were Iowa State University, and the University of Iowa. Here's the deal. My sister is going to Iowa State. We have more a family legacy there. But Iowa has more of what I'm interested in. I really like it there. Plus, I've had this gut feeling all year that I need to go there. We'll see if that means anything.



Misc.
*We had state solo/ensemble contest last weekend. I participated in 9 events and got seven division I ratings. BONUS: My vocal solo was chosen as best of center. What does that mean, Beth? Well, it means that out of the 30-35 events that were in that particular center, including solos, duets, groups, etc., my solo was considered the best.
*I was in a play called "Leaving Iowa". I played an obnoxious brat. It was great :)
* We went to visit my brother/aunt and uncle in Seattle for spring break. Just my sister and I and our cousin Katherine. No parents! It was so fun :)
*I'm graduating...in 1 month.... AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment