Friday, February 22, 2013

Oscar Update

I am an award-show-aholic. I love anything Oscar/Emmy/Tony etc. This year, I wanted to see all of the Best Picture nominated films before the Oscars. Considering at this point I have six movies left to see, I don't think it's going to happen. Here's Where I'm at so far...
Les Miserables
If you know me, you know that I love musicals more than water. Even if you only read this blog, you've probably gathered that I have a thing for spontaneous song. So when Les Miserables came out, I was all over it. It was very good, but it had many flaws. There were a lot of close ups, a few weak singers (though, unlike most, I do not consider Russell Crowe to be one of them). Also, it all went by so fast! I mean, I understand that they condensed the show (the cut out about 45 minutes from the stage version), but I felt like it made the characters harder to connect to. The movie's redeeming qualities were definitely Anne Hathaway (so far, my nominee for Best Supporting Actress), Samantha Barks, and the end scene between her, ValJean (Hugh Jackman), and the Bishop. Good, satisfactory, but not my pick Best Picture.

Silver Linings Playbook
So far, my pick for best picture. I LOVED this movie. It's about a guy who suffers from mental illness who is trying to put his life back together. It didn't make me cry like Les Mis did, but I felt very connected to each character. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing, as was Bradley Cooper. I don't really know what else to say. It was just a really great film.

Zero Dark Thirty
Intense. I seriously thought I was going to vomit when it was over, because it was two hours of very concentrated intensity. For those of you that don't know, Zero Dark Thirty is a movie about the decade-long search for/assassination of Osama bin Laden. Mainly, about the woman whose life was consumed by this mission (played by Jessica Chastain). Omigosh, bravo Jessica Chastain! She was phenomenal. Though the movie was difficult to watch at some points, I understand the appreciation for it.

Even though I haven't seen enough of the films to make a super valid choice, I know who I'll be rooting at the Oscars this Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment