Monday, February 11, 2013

Manic Monday! Finally!

 
A long overdue, but hopefully worth the wait Manic Monday post!
1. Here She Is Boys! Here She Is World!
Those are my three favorite Mama Rose's (Patti Lupone, Bette Midler and Bernadette Peters). I have been trying to find a song to sing for solo musical theater but I am very, very, VERY picky. I've wanted to do Rose's Turn from Gypsy, for a while. My excuse was always, "I can't find a good enough karaoke version of it", which is partially true. The totally real, no sugar coating version? This song SCARES ME. I'm afraid the audience won't get it. I'm afraid I won't due justice to it. I'm afraid I'll end up sounding like a screaming fool. But you know what? It's my senior year. It's my turn damn it! And I'm gonna do this song.
 
2. Tina Friggin Fey and Amy Friggin Poehler
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler need to host every award show. All of them. I'm serious. I know the Globes were a while ago, but they were so funny that I just had to blurb about it. My favorite lines of the night?
TINA: The Hunger Games was one of the biggest films this year, and also what I call the six weeks it took me to fit into this dress!
AMY: Ang Lee was nominated for Best Director for The Life of Pi, which is what I'm gonna call the six weeks after I take this dress off!
*high five*
 
3. Silver Linings Playbook
Sometimes, I go to movies by myself. This time, I didn't intend to, but it just sort of ended up that way. Anyway, Silver Linings Playbook is a very good movie. It's funny, intense, romantic. I would definitely see it again (with or without anybody else).
 
4. Scholastic Arts and Writing Awards
I won what is called a Gold Key award for this colored pencil drawing that I did last year (I might post the color version later). A Gold Key indicates that my project is advancing from the state level to the national level, to compete against works from across the US. I wouldn't say that I expect to win anything at the national level, but I am very tickled to receive that kind of recognition.
 
5. Jazz Choir
Our jazz choir has been thrown a loop these last couple of weeks. Our amazing director found out that she had a blood clot in her leg. It was pretty serious, but she's had surgery and is doing okay. We had to run State Contest on our own (with the help of a few adults). We've been working hard and trying to keep improving and moving ahead, but we sure would like to see her back and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment