Wednesday, November 21, 2012

All State

Ugh, time flies! This previous weekend was a candidate for best weekend ever. Why?

Well, a month back on October 20th, I auditioned for a little something called the All State Choir. About 2,400 kids auditioned for the choir and 600 made it. I was a Soprano 2 in the choir this year. It has been one of the most fantastic experiences that I have had as a musician.



On Thursday afternoon, four of us trekked up to Ames, IA to partake in an event that is known as the All State Music Festival. They were myself, our band and choir directors, and a french-horn playing classmate of mine (for anonymity I'll refer to him as Paco). Paco has been in the All-State band three times, the lucky duck (it was not luck; he is a very talented, hardworking individual).

And, as if things could not be more awesome, I had a hotel room all to myself and I got to eat at Orange Leaf for the first time!


Then, on Friday, we had eight hours of rehearsal, and on Saturday night we had a concert. The choir director was Jerry Blackstone. He is a Grammy winning conductor and he was such a joy to get to work with.  The concert was almost too good to be true. There was such a big, beautiful sound from all three groups (the choir, orchestra, and band). I'm an easy cryer (see my post about the musical). During the first song, America the Beautiful, the band and the choir played together and it was just so gorgeous. I lost it. It was a great experience and I'm so glad that I got to be a part of it.





No comments:

Post a Comment