Sunday, November 4, 2012

Everyone Deserves the Chance to Fly

Sigh.

It's 2 o'clock in the morning (thank you daylight savings time) and I am officially done with theater in high school.
I sound very melancholy. I am a little bit. After Dorothy melted me, it dawned on me that this was it. No more witch. No more green. No more flying. I quietly sobbed behind my cauldron until the curtain closed and I didn't have to hide anymore. Thank god there were people there to fix my make-up before curtain-call. Theater is my greatest love. I have not had the greatest experiences with it these last four years, but no matter what, I always end a show feeling sore, exhausted, and supremely happy.


"The Wizard of Oz" has made me so happy. I never dreaded practice; in fact, I constantly looked forward to it. Everyone in the show worked so hard to make it a great experience. The cast was brilliant. I love all of you dearly. I thank the directors from the bottom of my heart for giving the seniors a production that they could be proud of. Most of all, I am proud of the entire student body and community for embracing not just the musical, but all of the fine arts programs that our school has going.

In Wicked, Elphaba says, "Everyone deserves the chance to fly." and now, I've had my chance. I have soared on the high of performing to the best of my ablilty. I am hoarse from yelling, and sore from standing in strange positions (it's a witch thing), but I am supremely happy. I am realizing that this is not the end of theater for me. It is only the beginning.

Goodnight folks.

4 comments:

  1. Beth - love this entry! Your words bring your emotions to life and make your experience so real. Keep writing - this is wonderful!

    I'm still raving about the play - it was awesome!
    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Aunt Nancy!
    Thank you for road-tripping to Audubon to see the play
    AND thank you for taking a look at this little hobby of mine! I'm still trying to figure this blogging thing out :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so well written, Beth! Proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me happy! It sounds like the prologue of your future autobiography you will write when you're famous.

    ReplyDelete